Pregnancy Update

I wrote a long time ago about being pregnant, but I've never really chronicled the months and talked about the unusual things I've experienced and the current state I'm in.

FIRST TRIMESTER:
I was blessed with very little nausea with this pregnancy. I would feel sick in the morning, but I only vomited a handful of times, and everything would subside if I ate food. Because of the stark contrast between this baby and Conner's pregnancy, I had the inclination that I was having a girl. (Boy, was I wrong!)

Around 5-6 weeks along, before I told anyone about the pregnancy besides Ben, my parents, and sisters, I had a scare while working at school. I was in the middle of teaching our morning Daily Language Review when all of a sudden I felt intense spasms and cramping in my stomach area. The pain was so intense I could hardly speak and I had to get an aid in my classroom so I could be excused. Then, within 20-30 minutes I felt a gush of blood. I thought for sure I was having a miscarriage, so I called my doctor and went in later that day for a checkup. I wasn't interested in covering up what was going on, so I told my coworkers I was extremely early in pregnancy and thought I was miscarrying. I felt that was the best way so that people would understand my sudden sickness and then I wouldn't have to answer too many questions. I'm glad I told the truth, because it was nice having everyone understand and be there for support, but honestly, I was very calm throughout the entire ordeal and never cried or really even worried. I just prayed about it and went on with teaching my students the rest of the day until my appointment. I figured that God knew what was best, and his decision would be okay with me.
My afternoon doctor's appointment revealed that I had something called a subchorionic hematoma, which is a blood clot that forms between the baby and the uterus wall. Basically, when the baby embedded deeply into my uterine wall, he burst a blood vessel, thereby causing the pain and bleeding, and I was put on a strict "no exercise of ANY kind" restriction until the blood clot dissolved because there was danger that if the blood clot ripped from the uterine wall, it would abort the baby at the same time. It took until week 13 to completely dissolve. Yikes. During that time I ended up having two more major spasm and cramping/bleeding sessions, but every ultrasound revealed baby Owen was still doing just fine. Thank you, Lord!

Other than the hematoma, I felt pretty good, had little nausea, and relatively few other symptoms of being pregnant. I didn't feel too tired. I wasn't running to the restroom at night, and I had no acne - which was the complete opposite of Conner's pregnancy. Due to all of these contrasting symptoms, Ben and I were certain that I was having a girl. I even had my name picked out and was starting to think of girly things I wanted to purchase! haha! I would find out in five short weeks that I was having another boy. When the ultrasound tech was checking my baby at week 18, she said, "Well, this should look familiar to you!" Nasty boys! haha. (Just kidding!) I was very shocked, and Ben was beaming. I was actually quite happy with having another boy. I love Conner so much, and I've always been in love with little rotten boys. There's just something about them that weaken my heart moreso than little girls. I definitely have room in my heart for a little girl if our third baby is one, but I'm willing and ready for anything!

SECOND TRIMESTER:
Also during my first trimester, my Crohn's Disease had just started to rear its ugly head. I was experiencing intestinal cramps and bleeding in addition to the blood clot issue, and so at weeks 14-19 I was put on a high dosage of Prednisone. Hello, "Moon Pie" face, no sleep, jittery/shaky hands, and obsessive cleaning at odd hours of the morning! Even though Prednisone makes it where I can't sleep, it also makes it where I'm not sleepy, so I don't feel deprived, tired, or cranky. I'm just full of jittery energy. I was also taking 9 pills a day of Asacol, plus another yucky nightly medicine, so I began to fret that I was harming Owen because of all the drugs in my system. I had also had a sigmoidoscopy (without meds, yikes again!) during this time. I was really worried (and still do a little) that all of these drugs will have a negative impact on Owen, but all my doctors keep reassuring me that my health is more important at this time for Owen, and that the only other risk from my meds are a cleft lip, which has already been confirmed negative by ultrasounds. Thank you, Lord, again!

On a positive note, during the first and second trimester I was coaching track, teaching 4th grade, and spilling the beans that I was pregnant and going to quit work plus open a day care. Wow! It was a busy and stressful, but exciting, time in my life! I was dealing with the stresses of my health, but then again, I also didn't actually feel THAT bad physically. I felt pretty good; I would still say I felt better during Owen's pregnancy than Conner.

THIRD TRIMESTER:
I finally got past the Crohn's flare up by the middle of the second trimester, I was cleared of the blood clot, I didn't look that pregnant since I had experienced no swelling,no acne, and I didn't have any indication that I was pregnant other than a slightly bulging belly. I felt great and told everyone this was an extremely easy pregnancy! Then, guess what happened again??! Here comes Crohn's again! This time the flare up was the worst I've ever experienced in my life since my first flare up when I was diagnosed at age 16. One day I just couldn't stay out of the restroom, then a few days later I was cramping severely every 10-15 minutes, spasming, and bleeding wayy too much. Baby Owen stopped moving completely for a full day, and I thought I had gone into labor because of the intense contractions I was feeling. I called the doctor and they had me drink Big Red and sugar to try and get Owen to move, but there was nothing. They told me to go in to the hospital for a check-up, and so I headed over a couple hours later, and on my way little Owen started moving like crazy. I wanted to turn around, but I went ahead in just to make sure. Owen just kicked and kicked and kicked, so they sent me home knowing that I had an appointment with my GI doctor the next day.

I visited Dr. Touloukian and was immediately put back on Prednisone. He ordered lab work to make sure that I wasn't losing too much blood, and they called back within two hours to tell me that my blood work shows that I'm anemic because of the blood loss, and now I'm on an even higher dose of Prednison than last time. My face has started to swell, I'm no longer sleeping regularly, and I'm back to my jittery, maid-of-the-year status. I have six weeks to go until my due date and the doctors are scrambling to figure out what I'll do once I deliver so I can nurse baby Owen. I told them there is no choice on medicines. I refuse to use formula for at least six months - preferably twelve months. I can report that after two weeks of steroids, the bleeding, cramps, and urgent trips to the restroom have subsided, and I'm feeling normal again - despite the fact that I'm taking 14 pills a day. (There's that guilty feeling again that I'm harming Owen with drugs.) I just have to pray and trust that God will supply and take care of Owen - and me.

Other than the Crohn's flare, I do feel fine. I'm starting to get uncomfortable from the sheer size of my belly, but that really just sat in in the past week. I know I'm getting close to delivering and I can hardly wait to meet Mr. Owen. I hope he looks like Conner. From all the ultrasounds I receive (one every two weeks), it looks like they both have the same little round face. :) I think the anticipation of seeing Owen and comparing him to Conner is what I look forward to the most with my upcoming delivery.


As far as family news, Ben and I plan to go camping tonight for the very first time on our 12 acres. Conner always asks if baby Owen is moving or sleeping, and he loves feeling for kicks. Conner is a very sweet, well-behaved little boy, and I am so excited for him to have a little brother to eventually run around in the yard with. Conner's favorite things right now are John Deere tractors, trucks, shovels and rakes, and his beloved Thomas the Train choo-choo. His other two favorite characters are Elmo and Mickey Mouse. Conner always wants to be outside in the garden playing with his trucks, moving dirt, and helping Dada rake and shovel at the property. They have been spending more and more time together, and Conner is really turning into a Dada's boy. It really wamrs my heart to watch them spend time together and see how much Conner loves him - and vice versa. I feel extremely blessed to have another baby boy about to enter our lives, and I feel even more blessed that I get to raise my children. Our life is very good and fulfilled right now. Thank you, Lord, again.... I am blessed.

Comments