Sick

Poor Conner. Yesterday, my mom and I went to Greenwood to visit the teacher store and pick up supplies for my classroom. While shopping around Conner was really fussy, which is abnormal. We hurried through and got back to the van to leave and eat lunch, and Conner refused all the foods I offered him, including carved turkey, tomato, sweet potatoes, and steamed vegetables - all items that he normally loves. He even refused to drink his 100% juice Capri Sun. We knew something was up, and mom suggested he might be sick. We ended up at Target in Columbus on the drive home, and in the store we realized poor Bubby was really, really hot. We went over to the medicine section and I broke open a pack and gave him a dose right in the store! Of course I bought the medicine, but I wasn't going to make him wait thirty minutes for us to leave before we gave him something to feel better!

The medicine worked quickly, and we left Target and purchased a cherry Icee - Conner's absolute favorite "treat". He's only had two in his life! He drank so much of it that we thought he'd puke, but he didn't, and when we got home he acted totally normal.

After dinner I headed to my classroom to work, and Ben took over the parental duty. At 7:15 Ben called and asked if he could have more medicine because he was fussy, but I told him it hadn't been long enough for a second dose, so Ben said he'd keep him busy to ward off the crying spells. About fifteen minutes later Ben called and said that Conner was sitting on his lap while he played on the computer, and he simply fell asleep right on his lap! So, Conner went to bed at 7:30 last night without medicine, a bath, storytime, or final drink of milk!

I returned home around 11:15 and told Ben if Conner woke up - at all - in the middle of the night that I planned to get him to see if he had a fever again. At about 3am, Conner started crying and I went into his bedroom to pick him up, and he was inconsolable. He was burning up. I've never felt him this hot, and he wouldn't stop crying. As I was walking him around the house he started dry heaving, so I put him on our bed with a towel under him and laid him on his side. He was limp, and still burning hot, so I stripped off his clothes and diaper, and turned on the air conditioner unit and pointed it directly at him. Ben took his temperature, which was 102, and then gave him some medicine after he spit up. I took over duties and sent Ben back to bed because he had to work the next day. Conner ended up being up for two hours, and he was trembling he felt so bad. I've never felt so bad for him. It was so sad. I was so worried. I wish there was a doctor line you could call in the wee - early morning hours for advice! I didn't know what else to do besides cool him down, give him medicine, and console him as much as possible.

The good news is that he woke up at 7:15 this morning and his temperature is now 98, which is probably still because of the medicine, but he ate a full GoGurt, half a Nutrigrain bar, and a full bottle of milk. Plus, he is running around playing with Siler, and he made a stinky diaper. I guess that's his way of thanking me for taking care of him last night! haha

Comments

  1. Aww, poor buddy. How scary. I am glad he is feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can always call your sister in the middle of the night! ;) I know a thing or two about sick beebees!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment